Tretyakov Gallery celebrates 125 years
15.08.2018
Today, the legendary Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow is celebrating a new milestone: 125 years ago, the Gallery was officially open for the public.

Pavel Tretyakov began collecting art in the middle of 1950, however it wasn’t until six years later in 1956 when he purchased the first two works of Russian art: Temptation by N.G. Schilder and Skirmish with Finnish Smugglers by V.G. Kudyakov.

The Moscow City Gallery of Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov was opened in 1867. The exposition then consisted of 1,276 paintings, 471 sculptures and 10 drawings by Russian artists as well as little less than a hundred works by foreign masters.

By August 1892 when Tretyakov was ready to present his new art gallery to the city of Moscow as a gift, the collection had grown to 1,287 paintings and 518 graphic works of Russian art as well as an impressive collection of icons. The Museum, still called the Moscow City Gallery of Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov, officially opened on August 15 1893.

Today the Gallery has nearly 200,000 exhibits in its collection including paintings, sculpture and graphic works by Russian artists including such legends as Vasnetsov, Shishkin, Serov, Levitan and Vrubel.

Every year, the Gallery receives nearly half a million visitors from all over the world. Currently the Tretyakov is preparing for the launch of a new season with three blockbuster exhibitions lined up for the Fall: the retrospective of Ilya and Emilia Kabakov, the first ever in Russia solo retrospective of Larionov’s work and an exhibition of legendary landscape artist Arkhip Kuindzhi.


Portrait of Pavel Tretyakov, Founder of the Tretyakov Gallery by Ilya Repin, 1904

Третьяковская Галерея отмечает юбилей

Сегодня легендарная Третьяковская галерея в Москве празднует новую веху: 125 лет назад музей был официально открыт для публики.

Павел Третьяков начал собирать искусство в 1950 году, однако, он приобрел первые произведения русского искусства лишь спустя шесть лет в 1956 году: картины «Искушение» Н. Г. Шильдера и «Стычка с финляндскими контрабандистами» В. Г. Худякова.

В 1867 году открылась «Московская городская галерея Павла и Сергея Третьяковых». Экспозиция тогда состояла из 1 276 картин, 471 скульптур и 10 рисунков русских художников, а также в ней были представлены приблизительно сто работ зарубежных мастеров.

К августу 1892 года, когда Третьяков решил подарить свою галерею городу Москвы, коллекция выросла до 1 287 картин и 518 графических произведений русского искусства, а также к этому времени была собрана впечатляющая коллекция икон. Музей, который тогда все еще назывался Московской городской галереей Павла и Сергея Третьяковых, был официально открыт 15 августа 1893 года.

Сегодня в Музее представлено около 200 000 экспонатов, в том числе картины, скульптуры и графические работы русских художников, таких как Васнецов, Шишкин, Серов, Левитан, Врубель и многих других.

Каждый год Музей принимает почти полмиллиона посетителей со всего мира. В настоящее время Третьяковка готовится к запуску нового сезона, предлагая три новые осенние выставки: ретроспективу  Ильи и Эмилии Кабаковых, первую в истории России ретроспективу работ Ларионова и выставку произведений легендарного художника-пейзажиста Архипа Куинджи.