Update from Ghent: the response from MSK
06.03.2018

The MSK has been in the middle of a scandal in recent weeks after ten international art experts labeled the 26 exhibited works as "highly questionable". The avant-garde works by artists such as Kandinsky and Malevich, borrowed from the collection of Olga and Igor Toporovsky were removed at the end of January. The current state of affairs is that Toporovsky himself is getting a number of works analysed. Critics however, respond that he can therefore choose the works which he knows will pass the test. 

On the 2 March, the City of Ghent together with the MSK, issued a press release in response to the board meeting which took place on Thursday. Director of the MSK, Catherine de Zegher, gave a detailed explanation regarding the way in which the loan from the Dieleghem Foundation was processed. She repeated this presentation on Monday evening, 5 March, during the meeting of the Culture Committee.

The board of directors has already stated on Friday that there was too little communication in this case: “Communication in times of crisis needs to be improved". The second point concerns the attitude which the museum must adopt when loans are offered by private collectors: "The council suggests that museums should always request proof of authenticity and ask to discuss this with the other Flemish museums in an official meeting.”

When asked about the incident, de Zegher says that the entire sector could learn some lessons from the this incident, and that she’s ready to turn the page. "The MSK doesn’t have any reputation problems because of this case. None of the loans for any of our upcoming exhibitions have been withdrawn. That speaks for itself.” says de Zegher. The latter is confirmed by the alderwoman of Culture in Ghent, Annelies Storms: "This has been asserted here and there by the media, however it is not true".

When asked whether the MSK is going to cooperate with the Dieleghem Foundation in the future, de Zegher replied that that is no longer the case. She also says that the whole business should be seen in a broader perspective. "Other national and foreign museums have already faced problems like this. I received a lot of statements of support. Visitors left me supportive notes and sent e-mails telling me not to give up. I really appreciate the way residents of Ghent supported me in these turbulent times."

Storms says that de Zegher’s position has not been questioned during the meeting of the board of directors, and de Zegher herself has no intention of resigning. "I only have the museum in mind, as well as our fantastic museum team. We have always followed the procedures and are planning to further develop our vision in the future. In the meantime, I have also provided the necessary explanations to colleagues from other museums, and they’ve given me their support.”

Also present at the board was Jan Op de Beeck, chairman of the Friends of the Museum. He pleaded earlier in an interview with De Standaard for an external investigation, which would allow the employees and curators to speak freely about the Toporovsky incident. Due to the obligation of discretion, Op de Beeck declined to address specific questions about what was discussed by the Board of Directors. "Damaged reputation? It’s too early to say. Whatever happens, I am and will remain a friend of the museum".

28795375_1514757448637136_899877279321922359_n

Left: Catherine de Zegher, Right: Igor Toporovsky
Слева: Кэтрин де Зегер, Справа: Игорь Топоровский

Новости из Гента: ответ от MSK

В последние недели, Museum voor Sсhone Kunsten переживает скандал после того, как десять международных экспертов объявили 26 выставленных работ «очень сомнительными». Произведения из коллекции Ольги и Игоря Топоровских, приписываемые таким художникам, как Кандинский и Малевич, были сняты со стен в конце января. В связи с развитием событий Топоровский сам решил анализировать ряд работ. Критики, однако, прокомментировали, что он таким образом может выбрать работы, которые уверенно пройдут тест.

2 марта город Гент вместе с MSK опубликовал пресс-релиз в ответ на заседание правления музея, которое состоялось в четверг. Директор MSK Кэтрин де Зегер дала подробное объяснение относительно того, как работы были одолжены из Фонда Дилегема. Она повторила это заявление в вечер понедельника 5 марта, во время заседания комитета культуры города Гента.

Совет директоров уже в пятницу заявил, что в этом случае со стороны руководства было слишком мало открытости: «Коммуникацию во время кризисов необходимо улучшить». Второй момент касается того, как музей должен себя вести в связи с работами частных коллекционеров: «Совет предлагает, чтобы Музей требовал подтверждения подлинности и обсуждал эту подлинность с другими фламандскими музеями на официальном уровне».

Когда её спросили об инциденте де Зегер сказала, что весь сектор может извлечь уроки из этой ситуации и, что она готова перевернуть страницу. «У MSK не возникло проблем с репутацией из-за этого случая. Ни одна из обещанных нам картин для любой из предстоящих выставок не была отозвана. Это говорит само за себя» заявила де Зегер, что подтверждает и Аннелиз Стормс: «Это было заявлено разными средствами массовой информации, однако не является правдой».

На вопрос, собирается ли МSK сотрудничать с Фондом Дилегема в будущем, де Зегер ответила, что таких планов больше нет. Директор также заявила, что весь бизнес следует рассмотреть в более широкой перспективе. «Другие национальные и зарубежные музеи уже сталкивались со схожими проблемами: я получила много поддержки. Посетители оставляли мне сообщения и я получила множество электронных писем, в которых меня просили не сдаваться. Я очень ценю то, как жители Гента поддержали меня в эти бурные времена».

Стормс говорит, что должность Де Зегер не была поставлена ​​под сомнение во время заседания совета директоров, и сама она не намерена уходить в отставку. «Я думала только о музее, а также о нашей фантастической музейной команде. Мы всегда следовали протоколу, и планируем наше дальнейшее развитие. Я также предоставила необходимые объяснения коллегам из других музеев, и получила от них поддержку» заявила Кэтрин де Зегер.

Также на заседании присутствовал Ян Оп де Бек, председатель общества «Друзей Музея». Ранее он умолял в интервью с De Standaard провести внешнее расследование, которое позволило бы работникам и кураторам свободно говорить об инциденте с Топоровским. Из-за обязательства конфиденциальности, Де Бек отказался отвечать на конкретные вопросы о том, что обсуждалось Советом директоров. «Поврежденная репутация? Слишком рано говорить. Что бы ни случилось, я останусь другом музея».