The director of of the MSK museum in Ghent forced to temporarily step down
08.03.2018
The Flemish newspaper De Standaard, which has been covering the story in Belgium, has revealed new facts about the case. According to De Standaard, on Monday evening, the director of Museum voor Schone Kunsten (MSK) Catherine de Zegher said in a meeting with the city’s council for Art and Design that Magdalena Dabrowski and Noemi Smolik “were fully involved in the research during the six months which preceded the exhibition”. She added that the two specialists were so enthusiastic about the work, they wanted to exhibit them in a show. “I can even show you the concept documents.” said de Zegher.

Upon being contacted by De Standaard, it was revealed that neither of the specialists has ever been asked for an expertise and consequently had not performed any assessment of the work. Furthermore, they even warned the director about the paintings, advising De Zegher against getting involved with the collection. Smolik says she saw the works for the first time when they were already on the walls.

Following the last in a series of controversy the council decided to step in, and conduct an external audit in the Museum. With a vote of 10 against 2, the director was placed on a temporary suspension of her position. De Zegher herself did not attend the meeting and failed to provide the documents regarding Igor Toporovsky's collection, which the committee had previously requested. In light of De Zegher’s suspension, a thorough investigation will be conducted and the employees of the Museum will finally be allowed to give their statements.

The council demands that things be brought to attention as quickly as possible as “now it appears that the investigation to date is most likely based on untruths and false statements by Catherine de Zegher.”

According to De Standaard, if the investigation reveals De Zegher has been providing false information, her position at the Museum is unlikely to be restored and De Zegher will be expected to permanently step down. The investigation is currently ongoing.

28685443_1516591665120381_3649370227499597824_n
Catherine de Zegher by Valerij Ledenev
Кетрин де Зегер, фото Валерия Леденева

Директора музея МСК в Генте временно отстранили от должности

Фламандская газета De Standaard раскрыла новые факты по этому скандалу. Согласно De Standaard, в понедельник вечером директор Мuseum voor Schone Kunsten (MSK) Кетрин де Зегер заявила на встрече с городским Советом по искусству и дизайну, что Магдалена Дабровски и Ноэми Смолик «были полностью вовлечены в исследование в течение шести месяцев, которые предшествовали выставке». Она добавила, что оба специалиста были настолько увлечены работой над картинами, что даже выступали за проведение выставки. «Я даже могу показать вам концептуальные документы», сказала де Зегер.

Газета Dе Standaard взяла интервью у вышеупомянутых экспертов и выяснилось, что ни у одного из специалистов не просили помощи с экспертизой и, следовательно, они не проводили никакой оценки работ. Более того, они даже советовали Де Зегер не завязывался с коллекцией Топоровского. Смолик говорит, что впервые увидела работы, когда они уже висели на стенах.

После последнего в серии противоречий, Совет по искусству и дизайну решил вмешаться и провести всесторонний аудит по этому делу. При голосовании 10 против 2, директор была временно отстранена от должности. Сама Де Зегер не присутствовала на собрании и не предоставила документы в отношении коллекции Игоря Топоровского, о которых её ранее просил совет. Тем временем в Музее будет проведено тщательное расследование, и работникам Музея наконец будет позволено выступить с заявлениями.

Совет требует как можно быстрее привлечь внимание ко всем деталям дела, поскольку «теперь кажется, что расследование до сегодняшнего дня, скорее всего основано на неправде и ложной информации Кэтрин де Зегер».

По информации De Standaard, если идущее расследование докажет, что Де Зегер предоставляла ложную информацию, ее позиция в Музее вряд ли будет восстановлена.